University of Colorado President Bruce D. Benson recently celebrated his 10th anniversary as president of his alma mater. He is the longest serving CU president in the past 65 years, and he’s not slowing down any time soon. CU on the Air host Ken McConnellogue, V.P. of university communications, talks with President Benson on his longevity and accomplishments, CU’s outstanding students, faculty and out of this world programs, and building an inclusive and collaborative culture of all types of diversity – from ethnicity to political thought.
- Just how tough is it to be a university president?
- CU’s growth in student numbers and fundraising
- The challenges facing the university with only 5 percent of its budget coming from the state
- Efficiencies and alternative funding
- Becoming a model for universities across the country
- Building a culture of collaboration and inclusion
- Building diversity through scholarships
- Diversity of thought: Teaching students how to think, not what to think
- Serving all of Colorado through 291 outreach programs
- The best part of being president
- The importance of supporting all higher education institutions in Colorado