Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Google Podcasts | Spotify | Stitcher | Email | RSS | More
Throughout its history, the city of Denver was home to saloons that served up a lot more than alcohol. Ken McConnellogue talks with CU Denver History Professor Tom Noel – aka Dr. Colorado – about the liquid history of Denver and how bars evolved throughout the ages and helped form the Denver of today.
- Ethnic and cultural importance of Denver’s early bars.
- The first bar and its significance to the community.
- Denver’s oldest surviving bar.
- A bar named for the city’s most colorful villain, the king of all Western con-men.
- Police entrapment in Denver’s early gay bars, and how the LGBTQ community leveraged it for gay rights.
- Colorado’s favorite bars in modern times.